Sunday 18 August 2013

An Introduction

Hi there,

Much like most twenty-somethings these days, my life has been filled by many different hobbies and interests which have come and gone as the years passed by, but two which have stayed with me since my early teens are my passions for video games (World of Warcraft specifically), and fitness.

As this is my first post on this blog, I feel that I should quickly state that yes, I do understand that these two interests are incredibly contradictory. As anybody who has ever experimented with World of Warcraft will know, it requires an enormous time investment to get the most out of the game. At the peak of my time playing this game, I would spend up to 8 or 9 hours per day with my face glued to the computer screen. However, I have always found time to feed my other addiction, fitness and health.

I believe that my interest in working out and keeping healthy, was largely inspired by my father. My father spent the majority of his working life as a bricklayer, working 8-10 hours per day, 6 days a week, and would then come home every night and still find time to get himself down to the gym. He has always been in great shape, and has always tried his hardest to ensure that I make the same efforts. He took me to my first gym session when i was 13, we went to exercise classes together, shared advice and tips that we learned with each other, and generally kept each other going when motivation was low. However, one thing he has always had his reservations over, is the amount of time i spend playing video games.

I have always believed that the negative stereotypes that are associated with gamers, are just that. Stereotypes. Personally I have always tried to fight against the stereotype of the "typical gamer", who sits in a darkened room, playing video games from dusk till dawn, living off a diet of sugary drinks and greasy foods. I workout whenever I can, I follow a strict (ish)  diet, I make an effort to maintain a healthy social life, and I occasionally venture out into the sun if I'm feeling adventurous.

This blog is mainly an outlet of all the experiences I've been through over the years and will be a mix of fitness related advice such as supplement reviews, workout plans and general advice, and my rants and raves about what is occurring in the world of gaming.

Thanks guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment